Friday, January 10, 2014

In and Out. ( More Nursing Home Drama.......)

06-27-2012 at 01:19 PM 
My visit this last weekend with my grandmother was very short mainly because my two little boys were running circles, literally, around the other old folk that live there. One little old lady that wears a cute little hat and has the face of a cabbage patch baby opened her mouth and yelled at me it seemed at the top of her little old lungs. “Are you going to let these kids run around and break everything!?” I said in a very calm voice that there was nothing there to break and they weren’t doing anything but playing with a balloon. I was really thinking to myself that if they accidentally ran into one of the old folk that they could break them or something on them so we moved our “party” into my grandmothers’ room.

In my grandmothers’ room my mother and I and my grandmother sat down on whatever we could find to sit on and the boys ran around touching everything they can get their hands on. Kids will be kids and boys will be boys. We cut our visit short and said goodbye.

It wasn’t the visit I had expected. I had hoped to get her a cup of coffee and sit with her for a while but my constant need to parent my young children does not allow me the freedom to do so. Visits such as this are limited to weekends when I can visit by myself and in the afternoon when she craves the perfect cup of coffee, which she will not get at “the home” but coffee nonetheless. So, my plan to visit her this Sunday is on my schedule.

I miss not being able to call my grandmother whenever I want. She doesn’t have a phone in her room anymore. I remember years before she started to take a turn for the worst we spoke on the phone at least once a day if not more. Just to say “hello” and to keep in touch. Now, if she wants to make a call she has to go to the front desk and have them dial out for her. She took advantage of this when she first moved in but the calls have ceased. So, I depend on the times I can visit her. I want to remember her and always remember the bond that I have with her. I feel so lucky that at the age of 47 I still have my grandmother who will be 93 (I think) in September. That comes down to the fact that she was young when she had my mother and my mother was young when she had me. How lucky is one girl to have had two best friends growing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment