Friday, January 10, 2014

The Glass Is Half Full...................Mo re Nursing Home Drama

09-25-2012 at 12:24 PM 
I could write a depressing post today based on my last visit with my grandmother over the weekend but I won’t. I always look at my life as though my glass is half full. I will do the same through my grandmothers’ eyes.

She was happy to see me as she sat at the dining room table having just finished “looking” at her lunch. She had not touched it and claimed not to be hungry in the least. But, I filled her hands with sugar free candy that she then put in her pocket. It was hers and she was going to hide it from everybody. It put a smile on her face. If she doesn’t hide it someone is sure to come along and take it. Just like the Cabbage Patch lady did during my visit when she went into someone's room and took one of their stuffed animals off of their bed and stuffed it in her walker basket.

My grandmother asked me when she was going home and my response was a convincing “I don’t know.” As far as I am concerned home is heaven where her mother is whom she is constantly looking for. It’s where her husband is and the rest of her loving family. I will post more on this topic another time.

After lunch I took her into the tv room where I knew she would be distracted by the television when I would make my exit. She loved watching television when she had her own apartment only a few months ago, something that does not exist in her world at the home. Soon after others’ joined us. I knew it was only a matter of time before heads fell, eyes closed, and the elders would check out for the afternoon. This was after a day that began with a hearty breakfast, an exercise class, and a full lunch. After their nap they will get ready for dinner. Again, I don't want to get into it right now but this is the life of a person who has lost their mind, my grandmother excluded. We still don't understand why she is in this wing. She is the only sane individual person there besides the staff. They will not move her because they feel she is a flight risk yet all of the doors going to the outside has an alarm system on it and will not open without a code. Although she knows she is surrounded by people who can act like lunatics at times she probably forgets minute by minute where she is. But I digress.

We recently celebrated my grandmothers’ 93rd birthday at my brothers’ house. We gave her balloons and hung a stream of multicolored necklaces around her neck. We sung happy birthday to her and had birthday cake. She kept asking everyone, “Whose birthday is it?”

Happy birthday Bubie!

No comments:

Post a Comment