Friday, January 10, 2014

My Visit To The Nursing Home Today

03-04-2012 at 02:53 PM 
It must have been the ambiance while visiting my grandmother because I feel tired and calming. As we walked into the wing I noticed heads were down of those residents that decided to stay at the breakfast table once breakfast was over and catch up on some sleep. There were a few staff members walking up and down the halls disappearing into the resident rooms and one was talking with the husband of a resident. As we made our way down the hallway they confirmed I would find my grandmother in her room.

She was sitting in her chair leaning forward with her head resting in her hands. My four year old son woke her and we were greeted with smiles and joy of our presence. We gave her a piece of marble coffee cake but she decided to save it for later. My son was so used to getting something to snack on when visiting that he talked her into giving him a small piece of her cake and then some graham crackers that she had managed to sneak into her room. It was quiet and nobody bothered us. The lack of excitement was welcoming. After a half hour we decided to let my grandmother take a nap that she seemed to need and want at that very moment. We said our goodbyes and left her in her chair.

This was the calmest visit I have ever had to the nursing home. This is the way it should be. The staff was there and the residents were calm, safe, and secure. I wonder if I go next week on the same day at the same time if my visit will be the same or is this a one off?

No comments:

Post a Comment