Friday, January 10, 2014

Nursing Home Curse

02-16-2012 at 11:26 AM 
Really?! Residents coughing up a storm, choking on their food, and peeing in their pants is what I witness when I visit my grandmothers nursing home. Where is the staff? The first time anything was done about my grandmothers continuous and deadly sounding cough was after I reported it to the staff. She was running a high grade fever and looked pale. They immediately called the doctor to get a prescription. Considering her condition, my grandmothers' body does not produce any white blood cells leaving her vulnerable to any virus or infection that could ultimately kill her, I expect the nursing home staff to take care of her.

The wing my grandmother lives on staff, from what I could see during my visits, approximately four medical personnel to service approximately 30 people. I believe there is one nurse on staff in her wing and two or three aids at one time. One thing I notice during meal times is the staff disappear after serving the the food. They do not surface again until after meal time is over. I find myself one of a few visitors that have the ability to recognize someone in distress from choking or falling off of their seat which happens often if not strapped into a wheelchair. But, this is not my job and if I am not there I would hope there would be someone there to supervise the people who pay a fortune to live there.

No wonder why nursing homes mean death and have such a bad reputation. I feel the need to investigate the people who investigate the nursing homes to assure they are following reasonable rules in order to guarantee the safety of our loved ones.

The staff are very nice and friendly and loving towards those they care for and their families. I witness them working hard to clean up after the elderly who cannot clean up after themselves. I hear them try to calm an over excited individual who may be experiencing sundowners. I give them credit for what they do to feed their families. But who is to blame? The staff members or the system in place at the facility?

As I am posting this blog I received a phone call that the nursing home successfully conducted my grandmothers monthly pace maker test and they called to let us know the good outcome. This proves how inconsistent the system is at this particular nursing home. It's unfortunate that we have to stand over them to make sure they are doing their jobs. It's sad that we cannot depend on the system.

If the families have to do all the work we might as well have our loved ones live with us. What are we paying for? What are we getting in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment