Friday, January 10, 2014

The Latest................Mor e Nursing Home Drama

11-28-2012 at 08:06 PM (12333 Views)
I know your probably wondering why I am blogging so soon after my last posting over the past weekend. It’s out of my norm to post more than once a week about the nursing home drama series but I have a good reason. I had such a great visit with my grandmother today that I wanted to share it with you.

Upon entering her room I found her sitting in her chair unattended once again but safe nonetheless. She was awake and appeared to be doing nothing but sitting with her eyes wondering about the room maybe looking for something interesting to look at. When I entered the room she smiled a cute granny smile. You know the one without any teeth that makes one look like a cabbage patch baby. I asked her to join me in the dining room for a slice of Babka that I had picked up at a local bakery. Babka, and I quote Wikopedia, is a Ukranian sweet, leavened bread made with a rich dough. And, I am quoting myself here, “with a hint of coco throughout.” I knew she would enjoy it for two reasons. It’s sweet and it’s a carbohydrate. I helped her in her wheelchair and we rolled on into the dining room where we sat alone at a table for two.

During our visit we laughed and talked about nothing in particular except what most Jewish mothers talk about. Food. Now, it wouldn’t be my grandmother if she didn’t ask me if I was hungry every ten minutes but she surprised me with what she said after discussing my children coming home from school. My visit was going to be fairly brief because I had to leave to get my children off of the school bus and I had a twenty or so minute drive during traffic time. So, I was explaining that and she said, the kids will be hungry when they get home from school?” I laughed, she laughed.

Then she started playing with her shirt and heard a crackling noise under her shirt as if there was wrapping paper under there. She lifted her shirt slightly to reveal a pack of crackers and one cracker that was not wrapped. I asked her if she was a magician pulling crackers out of her shirt. She laughed but laughed harder when I asked her where her boobs went and why she couldn’t hide them in her cleavage. She swiped at me with her hand and had a good belly laugh at that. It was nice to hear and nice to have a laugh with her.

When it was time for me to go I asked her if she wanted to stay in the dining room or go back to her place. I won’t refer to her dwelling as a “room” but as her “apartment” or her “place” to give her a sense of independence and ownership. She wanted to go home and was happy when I left her reclined in her chair with the Food channel on her t.v.

I hope you enjoyed this posting. I am happy to share the bad AND the good. Until next time……………


P.S.-If you are reading this blog please like my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/diaryofapi Follow me on Twitter #diaryofpi. Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment